Tuesday, 12 November, 2019
US responsible for Yemen disaster: NYT

US responsible for Yemen disaster: NYT

America’s fingerprints are all over the war in Yemen, the New York Times said on Wednesday.

The US is currently abetting in a humanitarian disaster that could ultimately rival those in Syria and Iraq in its destabilising impact on the region and the world, according to the newspaper.

More than 10,000 people have been killed over the past three years in the civil war pitting the Houthis against Saudi-backed loyalists.

The tens of thousands of deaths may represent only a fraction of the total victims and the US government seems to be “doing everything it can to make things worse”, an article published in NYT said.

International aid agencies have warned that some 20 million people are at risk of dying of starvation or poverty-related diseases in Yemen and a number of African countries, all of which are facing critical food shortages.

In Yemen alone, Save the Children counts 20.7 million people, half of them children, are in dire need of aid.

A cholera epidemic is raging through the parts of Yemen hit hardest by the war, with at least 360,000 suspected cases. Some 2,000 people have already died because in the epidemic and the number of cases is rising by some 7,000 a day.

Both of these crises are entirely man-made. The famine in Yemen is not a consequence of drought or crop failure because in recent years Yemen has shifted most of its agricultural land to growing the stimulant drug Qat and other cash crops, importing almost 90 percent of its food.

The famine is the result of a two-year blockade imposed on the country by Saudi Arabia with the help of its allies, including the United States, the paper said.

In a deliberate effort to starve the rebel-held areas into submission, the ruthless siege tactics of the Saudi-led coalition are also directly to blame for the cholera outbreak, the NYT wrote.

Post a Comment
   
Name
Email
Comments
  7492
Code
 
   
Related News
A UK-based charity says more than 84,700 children under the age of five may have starved to death in Yemen since the Saudi regime and a coalition of its allies launched a brutal war on the already-impoverished nation over three years ago.
JAMAL Khashoggi’s monstrous murder has sparked a global debate about Saudi Arabia, with particular focus on how its de facto ruler, Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, deals with dissent.
The Islamabad High Court (IHC) Judge Justice Shaukat Aziz Siddiqui has not held any single person responsible for making amendment before the paragraph related to Khatam-e-Nabuwwat (SAW) declaration in his verdict.
Is the Pakistani government abiding by what has been proposed by a unanimous resolution passed by a joint session of Parliament on the issue of Yemen?

More News
Eyad Bani-Melham views $2.5bn as small change.

Most Popular
PPP co-chairman Asif Ali Zardari on Monday said that the international financial support being given to Pakistan by friendly countries is welcome, but no "foreign force" can prevent the economic slide the country appeared to be heading towards because of PTI government's policies.
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo met with Saudi King Salman and Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman on Monday in Riyadh, where he is visiting for talks on a range of Middle East crises, topped by the conflicts in Syria and Yemen, threats from Iran and the Saudi response to the killing of Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi last year.
India's Hindu nationalist-led government is splashing out on a religious megafest, spending unprecedented sums as part of a strategy to focus on the country's majority Hindu population ahead of a general election due this year.
Chief Justice of Pakistan Mian Saqib Nisar on Monday assailed an audit member of the Federal Bureau of Revenue (FBR) for the body's "sluggish" investigation in the case against 44 politically exposed individuals or their benamidars who own properties abroad.

Pakistan
 
Our Partners
Features and Analysis
Poetry & Literature
Local News
Readers Service
Audios