Tuesday, 23 July, 2019
White House asked Pentagon to 'draw up plans to strike Iran': report

White House asked Pentagon to 'draw up plans to strike Iran': report

The White House demanded that the military draft plans for strikes on Iran after attacks in Iraq last year, sparking concern at the Pentagon and State Department, the Wall Street Journal reported on Sunday.

The report said the move followed a mortar attack launched by an an allegedly Iran-linked group on the Baghdad diplomatic quarters home to the US embassy in September. No one was hurt by the shells, which landed in an open lot.

But the White House National Security Council (NSC) sought to develop a forceful American response to the low-scale attack, including options for a strike against the Islamic republic, WSJ reported.

It added that the NSC also requested options to respond with strikes in Iraq and Syria.

"It definitely rattled people," a former senior US administration official told the newspaper. "People were shocked. It was mind-boggling how cavalier they were about hitting Iran."

Although the Defense Department did develop proposals for a possible strike, the WSJ said it was unclear whether they were shared with the White House.

In one NSC meeting, then deputy national security adviser Mira Ricardel called the attacks in Iraq an "act of war" and called for a decisive US response.

Pentagon officials stressed that it was not unusual for the Defense Department to draw up military plans for the White House.

"The Department of Defense is a planning organisation and provides the president military options for a variety of threats," Colonel Rob Manning, a Pentagon spokesman, told AFP.

He said the Pentagon's activities include "routinely reviewing and updating plans and activities to deal with a host of threats, including those posed by Iran, to deter and, if necessary, to respond to aggression."

Asked about the report during his Middle East trip, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo declined to comment.

After the attack in Baghdad, the White House warned that "the United States will hold the regime in Tehran accountable for any attack that results in injury to our personnel or damage to United States government facilities."

"America will respond swiftly and decisively in defence of American lives," it added.

National Security Adviser John Bolton, a known Iran hawk, has pressed for regime change in the Islamic republic. He penned a 2015 New York Times opinion piece prior to his current role titled 'To stop Iran's bomb, bomb Iran'.

Post a Comment
   
Name
Email
Comments
  29306
Code
 
   
More News
In his highest profile speech since leaving office, former US President Barack Obama has denounced the policies of President Donald Trump without mentioning his name

Most Popular
PPP co-chairman Asif Ali Zardari on Monday said that the international financial support being given to Pakistan by friendly countries is welcome, but no "foreign force" can prevent the economic slide the country appeared to be heading towards because of PTI government's policies.
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo met with Saudi King Salman and Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman on Monday in Riyadh, where he is visiting for talks on a range of Middle East crises, topped by the conflicts in Syria and Yemen, threats from Iran and the Saudi response to the killing of Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi last year.
India's Hindu nationalist-led government is splashing out on a religious megafest, spending unprecedented sums as part of a strategy to focus on the country's majority Hindu population ahead of a general election due this year.
Chief Justice of Pakistan Mian Saqib Nisar on Monday assailed an audit member of the Federal Bureau of Revenue (FBR) for the body's "sluggish" investigation in the case against 44 politically exposed individuals or their benamidars who own properties abroad.

Pakistan
 
Our Partners
Features and Analysis
Poetry & Literature
Local News
Readers Service
Audios